indication of range in km on the display.
On the display you can see how many kilometers you can still drive: so you always know where you stand.
standard equipped with li-ion battery
Unparalleled innovation through standard equipment with a lithium-ion battery with a constant long range.
extra energy through regenerative braking system.
The regenerative braking system makes Scoozy smart with energy in all temperatures.
Anyone who drives an electric vehicle will recognize it. Range anxiety, the fear of being stranded on the road with an empty battery with your scooter. In this blog, we explain more about how the range of a scooter is calculated and determined, what effect the battery type and external factors have on the range and how far you can drive with Scoozy.
How the range of a scooter is calculated
Scoozy has been tested according to the European standard for mobility scooters, the so-called EN12184. This standard describes not only what must be tested, but also how to test. From this test comes a theoretical range for someone who weighs 100 kg.
With a test subject with weight supplemented to 100 kg, Scoozy is driven 10 laps clockwise and 10 laps counterclockwise at maximum speed on a square test track. This is done indoors at room temperature. The power consumption is measured with an ampere-hour meter.
C = battery capacity in ampere-hours
D= 20 x the length of the test track, measured along the centerline in meters
E = current consumption in amp-hours during the test
Based on this test, Scoozy C has a theoretical range of approximately 50 km with a battery of 33.6 Ah. But how far can you really drive and what does the actual range depend on?
Scoozy's range under real conditions
The range in practice depends on many things: think of user weight, temperature, slopes, surface (asphalt or unpaved), tire pressure, driving behavior (accelerating and braking), speed or headwind. The range does not really exist. We have tested this to give you a sense of the actual range.
In the dune area of The Hague, we drove as far as the battery could provide energy and logged the trip on the Strava app. During this field test, we were able to drive approximately 43 km with Scoozy.
- Distance: 42.88 km
- Substrate: paved and unpaved
- Landscape: slopes up to >10⁰
- Temperature: 9⁰C
- Wind chill: 5⁰C
- Average speed: 14.5 km/h
- Humidity: 91%
- Wind speed: 33.2 km/h
- Wind direction: South-south-east
- Weather: cloudy, rain from time to time
- User weight: 80 kg.
Watch the video of the test drive here:
So you can see how in this case the different circumstances have influenced the range. While driving, Scoozy actively calculates how many kilometers you can still drive if you continue to drive in the same way. That way you won’t be faced with any surprises. You must always charge Scoozy when the range falls below 10 km. You can only drive under a range of 7 km in Drive mode (up to 7 km/h). The battery voltage then falls below 40 Volts. This voltage fluctuates when, for example, you accelerate hard or just drive up a hill.
5 advantages of a lithium battery vs a lead battery
Scoozy is equipped with a Li-ion battery as standard and this gives 5 advantages in energy consumption compared to a lead battery.
- Weight: A lead battery is a lot heavier than a lithium battery, the lithium battery is 4 times as light as a lead battery, which means that it also costs less energy to drive.
- Longer lifespan: The capacity of a battery decreases slightly with each charging cycle. The only advantage of a li-ion battery is that it retains its capacity much longer. A Lithium battery lasts 3 to 4 times as long, up to 1500/2000 charging cycles. A lead-acid battery, on the other hand, breaks down after a maximum of 300-500 cycles, whereby maintenance and correct use are especially important.
- Fast and efficient charging: Lithium batteries can be charged very quickly to 100% capacity. With lead-acid batteries, an absorption phase is required to charge the last 20% of the capacity. If the battery is regularly not fully charged, this is, in contrast to a lead battery, no problem and the lithium battery will not be damaged.
- Little energy lost: Lithium batteries are significantly more efficient in storing energy compared to lead batteries. Lithium batteries charge with an efficiency of almost 100% compared to 85% with the vast majority of lead-acid batteries.
- Climate resistance: Both lead and lithium batteries lose capacity in cold environments. With the lithium battery, however, this loss is minimal. For example, a Lithium battery has a capacity of 80% at a temperature of -20˚C, while this is only 30% with a lead battery.
The influence of low temperature on the range
As mentioned, the temperature influences the range. The capacity of a lithium-ion battery decreases when it is colder. This is not permanent. When the weather is warmer, that capacity also increases. In practice, during a test drive with an outside temperature of -6⁰C and a wind chill of -12⁰C, we saw that the core temperature of the battery remained 9⁰C due to the heat generated by the engine while driving. This limited the influence of the cold on the range during that ride.
Scoozy brakes regeneratively. This means that braking energy is returned to the battery. However, a lithium battery can only be charged above 0⁰C because otherwise it would be damaged. For that reason, Scoozy has a heating element that keeps the battery above 0⁰C so you can always drive.
connect with SCoozy community
Share your ride with other Scoozy users and inspire each other with new adventurous rides.
Plan a nice trip with Scoozy through a city or nature reserve.
follow us on STRAVA
Find Scoozy Empowering Independent Mobility and follow us.
share your ride
Share your ride, join the Scoozy community and inspire each other.